Here are some ways that I’ve been able to reduce the amount of hair and mess in the house!
1. Make sure your dog is on a high quality dog food or a balanced raw diet. Dogs on appropriate diets tend to have healthier skin, coat, and condition which reduces excess shedding.
2. Add beneficial oils to your dog’s diet in the form of Salmon Oil. Salmon oil is high in omega 3 fatty acids and helps keep coat and skin healthy.
3. Get a good quality dog blower. These high powered, heated blowers are an excellent way to dry your dog after a bath. They also help to blow off dirt, loose fur, and mud. I like to use the blower on each dog before they come inside. This really helps keep dirt and fur from accumulating inside the home. It’s quick, easy, and the dogs get used to standing for their blow dry before going inside.
4. Use basic combs or soft bristle brushes to groom your dog. Do not use harsh, sharp tools like the furminator to brush your dog. Harsher tools tend to rip out hair and damage hair follicles which results in increased hair loss and haphazard hair growth patterns.
5. Air purifiers help reduce dust, dander, hair, and odor. There are several good quality products on the market. I like the ones with washable filters because they can be easily cleaned and reduce future costs.